Monday, November 17, 2014

Scones

It's no secret that S loves to eat!

For as long as I have known him, he has liked a pastry of some sort along with his egg and cereal in the morning. 

When we were 1st married, I baked him sweet treats every weekend to enjoy throughout the week.

As life got busier ie: E was born, I started just buying him bagels and calling it good.

This past weekend, I decided to surprise him and make him an old favorite...scones! I have made a variety of different flavor combinations over the years and all of them have been pretty good. This week, I decided to thaw out some rhubarb that a patient had given me over the summer and add in my new Cake Spice from Penzeys...what a great combo!

If you aren't sure, Scones are a dry-ish pastry that originated in the U.K. They are wonderful with coffee or tea!

This recipe was given to me several years ago by our friend D.O.

Here is the basic recipe minus the fruits and spices. The fruit/spice combos are endless and mine are never the same twice!

2 1/2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/4 c brown sugar*
1/4 c cold butter cut into pieces
2/3 c Buttermilk*
1 c fruit

*I never have buttermilk on hand, so I use milk and lemon juice
*I was out of brown sugar, so I used extra white sugar with some molasses

Preheat oven to 375. Stir flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugars.

With a pastry blender, cut in butter until soft crumbs form.
Stir in fruit. Stir in buttermilk (I just roll up my sleeves and mix with my hands) until dough just hold together.
Transfer dough to an un-greased cookie sheet.
Shade into a 9" round. Use a floured knife to cut into 8 wedges, sprinkle tops with additional sugar if desired.  Separate wedges allowing about 1/2" between each piece

Bake 22-28 minutes-until golden.

For these scones, I used about 2 c rhubarb and added 1t Cake Spice and 1 t vanilla. I sprinkled the tops with cinnamon and sugar.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment