Sunday, March 15, 2015

Guinness Corned Beef and Cabbage

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

2 blog posts in 1 day...must mean my family was well fed this weekend! =)

S is a little bit Irish, so that means E is a little bit Irish too.

Since the 17th falls on a Tuesday this year, we decided to celebrate my boys Irish heritage today. We began the morning with green pancakes...E wasn't so sure about them...

I am typically not a corned beef fan, but once a year I make it and I like it!

Here's my recipe

I boiled my beef on the stove instead of the crock pot this year. 
I put the meat in my big stock pot and added the spice packet, I also threw in some bay leaves. Then comes the good stuff...I added a can of Guinness, I could have used 2 but S wanted to drink some. Then I added water to cover the meat.
I got that boiling, then covered and simmered for about 2 hours.
Once I was nearing the 2 hour mark, I got my veggies prepped. 


Cabbage (of course!) onion, carrots and potatoes.  I quartered the potatoes and left the skin on. I thew in all the veggies, except the cabbage, got it up to boiling again then simmered for 10 minutes. Next, I added the cabbage(cut into 8ths) and simmered for about 15 minutes more. 

I piled everything on my biggest platter and still didn't have enough room

 Next time, I think I will only use 1/2 a cabbage, we have lots of leftover boiled cabbage. I am going to make a stuffed cabbage casserole in the crock pot later this week, thanks for the idea Mom!

Hope you all have a Happy St. Paddy's Day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment