Sunday, February 22, 2015

Homemade "Lara Bars"

Lately, I have been trying really hard to feed my family as "cleanly" as possible.  I have been calling clean, 5 ingredients or less unless I made it all myself.

We love to eat Lara Bars because they have only a few ingredients and they are all things I can pronounce. However, they can get costly.

A few weeks ago, S came across a recipe on a website he visits frequently, UltraRunnerPodcast.com. He asked me if I thought I could make it sometime. The recipe was called "Coconut Date Bars"  They contain ingredients that are commonly found in the Lara Bars we love.

I changed it up from being bars, to balls that are easy to grab and pop in your mouth when you need a quick, healthy, sweet snack

2 c pitted dates
3/4 c raw cacao powder
1 c unsweetened shredded coconut
1 T honey
1 t sea salt- I didn't measure, I just did a few grinds of pink Himalayan sea salt.
2 T water.

Process dates, cacao powder, 3/4c coconut, honey, salt and water in a food processor until smooth. Form into bite size balls and roll in remaining 1/4 c coconut. Refrigerate until firm.

Get a load of these bite sized beauties!
I think they are the perfect combination of sweet and salty and even S, who doesn't like coconut thinks these are great!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment