Monday, December 28, 2015

I'm Baaaaccckkk!

So, I am not exactly sure what happened there for almost 6 months.

I've obviously been feeding my family but apparently not talking about it.

I am off work all this week so there is bound to be some yummy-ness coming out of my kitchen!

First up a husband favorite...Shepard's Pie or actually more accurately, Cottage Pie since I am making it with ground beef. (traditional Shepard's Pie is made with ground lamb)  I also am using a sweet potato topping rather than white potato.

I got a brand new Le Creuset dutch oven for Christmas (Thanks Mom and Dad!) and I am excited for it's maiden voyage!

Here is what I used:
Approx 1T butter (vegan butter actually)
1 onion-chopped
A few carrots-chopped
1 pound ground beef
1T flour
1C beef stock (although, I only had chicken so that's what I used)
1 T tomato paste (mine was basil infused)
1/2 T Worcestershire sauce
a few shakes of dried herbs-herbs de provence today
Fresh ground salt and pepper.

Topping:
3 sweet potatoes peeled, chopped, boiled and mashed
Splash of milk (almond milk for us)
Spoonful of butter (vegan again)

I made the whole thing in my dutch oven but you could easily start in a saute' pan and transfer to an oven proof dish before baking.

I made my sweet potato topping in the morning and kept it in the fridge til ready to use. I tend to spread my cooking out all day when I have the chance!

Melt the butter and saute' the carrots and onion until soft. Add the beef and cook until the meat is brown. Stir in flour and cook for 5 minutes. Gradually stir in stock, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.

At this point, you would transfer to an oven proof dish. Allow the mixture to cool a bit before adding the mashed potatoes.  Pipe or spread potatoes over meat mix and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until nice golden brown.


This could very easily be prepped ahead of time and put in the oven after a long day.

As always, ENJOY! And, please...leave me some love!

No comments:

Post a Comment