Sunday, June 14, 2015

Grilled Stuffed Portobellos

I will admit, I am not a big fungus mushroom fan. It's a texture thing, slimey and gross.

The portobello though is meaty and delicious if cooked the correct way.

Tonight I decided to stuff them and stick them on the grill.  I found a recipe to loosely base my mushrooms on but modified it to use what I had around the kitchen.


First I cleaned and "gilled" the mushrooms
Grab the stem and lightly twist it off

I used a spoon to gently scrape the gills out the of mushroom. I find that if you leave them on it make everything black and mushy and gross.


I put about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar in each of the mushrooms to marinate while I got the stuffing ready.

I chopped up some onion, garlic and red pepper and sauteed it in olive oil. I then added a few handfuls of Spring Mix greens and reduced it down.

I took that mix and put it in each of my mushrooms (I used 6) I added diced tomatoes, avocado and bacon bits and topped with cheese-Co-Jack for the boys and vegan mozzarella for me. I sprinkled the tops with salt, pepper and dried basil and they were ready for the grill.





I put them on a medium hot grill for about 15 minutes until the cheese got nice and melty (another use for the pharse ooey, gooey, melty, melty cheese!)
S and E both gobbled these right up and declared that it was a "Make Again" Meal!

Please let me know if you try any of my recipes and what you think!
As always, Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment